Has your home's swimming pool transformed from an entertainment option to an eyesore? If so, it may be time to give your swimming pool a more contemporary look by engaging in a bit of remodeling.
There are many different types of remodeling projects that can alter the appearance of your pool, but few are as simple as replacing your pool deck. Here are some tips to help you find the perfect pool deck to give your swimming pool the updated look it so desperately needs:
1. Pool decking should resist heat absorption.
Many home swimming pools are located outdoors, which allows swimmers to enjoy the warmth of the sun while they are in the water. While situating your pool in an area that receives a high amount of sunshine can be great for swimming, it can also cause pool decking materials to burn bare feet. When you remodel your swimming pool it is essential that you select pool decking materials that resist heat absorption to ensure maximum comfort.
Here are some things to watch for when buying pool decking:
- Color- Materials that are lighter in color reflect the sun's rays, which means they do not become as hot as their darker counterparts. Look for pool deck materials that are cream, beige, or gray in color to keep heat absorption low.
- Coating- Pool decking materials that are sprayed with a polymer based resurfacer are much cooler than their non-treated counterparts. The polymer based resurfacer creates tiny air pockets as it dries. These air pockets help to keep the surface temperature lower by dissipating any heat that is absorbed.
2. Pool decking should be comfortable for bare feet.
If you want to increase the comfort level of your swimming pool, be sure that you invest in pool decking materials that are comfortable to walk on barefoot. Very few swimmers wear footwear while going in and out of the water, so remodeling to feature pool decking that is smooth can be beneficial.
Here are some things to watch for when you purchase pool decking:
- Texture- Although concrete and brick can make attractive pool decking, these materials are not the most comfortable to walk on barefoot. Instead of purchasing pool decking materials with a rough surface, opt for materials with little to no texture. Glazed tiles or wood slats can give you the updated look you want to achieve, without compromising the comfort of your pool decking.
- Grip- Slick surfaces combined with pools of water usually result in accidents. In order to maintain the safety of your pool you must look for pool decking that swimmers can comfortably walk barefoot on without slipping. Despite being a relatively new pool decking material, rubber can provide the traction you are looking for.
Updating your pool decking is an easy way to alter the appearance of your swimming pool, but the materials used in these remodels should not compromise the heat absorption or comfort of your swimming pool decking. If you have other questions, contact a company like Charlottesville Aquatics Pools Spas & Billiards for more help.